Tuesday 9 February 2010

Ear, Nose & Throat Hospital Referall

I was referred to the ear, nose and throat department at the hospital in Huddersfield for a meeting with the consultant. I was nervous and had a bad feeling about what he was going to say. I’d had this lump for what seemed like forever and the doctors referred me to the hospital – it must be bad I thought. I sat down in the consultants room with my mam and he asked me what I thought was going on. I gave a little laugh and shrugged – I was there to find out what was going on! Then he just came out with it. “Lauren, I’m going to be blunt. I think it could be lymphoma.” I burst into tears and I didn’t even know what it was. When he said it was a type of cancer the tears just didn’t stop. He said we shouldn’t bury our heads in the sand about it (which I hadn’t, I’d been to the doctors straight away!) and he put me in a biopsy of the lymph nodes in my neck for the very next day and i was to be the first patient. I was so scared, scared of having to be in hospital, scared of having an operation and scared I might have cancer. My mam stayed overnight with me so she could take me to the hospital the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment