Wednesday 10 February 2010

Bone Marrow Biopsy

Was feeling a bit down last night about having to have this biopsy. Scared about how painful it was supposed to be and absolutely dreading it!
Got to the hospital and they took me a room on a ward. I think I could have had it done in their clinic but for some reason they wanted it done on the ward.
Had another cannula put into my arm - getting really fed up of these now and I'm only gonna have it more when I start the chemo. Have a feeling I'll need a port putting in cos my veins are sometimes difficult to get up.

I laid down on the bed on my left hand side as I was having the biopsy taken from my hip on my right hand side. A lady came in to give me the sedative while the doctor was faffing on behind me. No sooner had she put the needle in than I was feeling sleepy. She put another 1 maybe 2 lots of sedatives in and I briefly remember talking to her about wigs and headscarves and then the next thing I knew I was waking up 11.15 (they started the biopsy at about 9.30)! I'd been asleep on the bed for about an hour and half which they had reccomended I do to get over the sedative. I couldnt remember a thing from the biopsy! Probably a good thing if it was painful but the doctor said I dealt with it really well so who knows how I really reacted lol
Apparantly I'd asked my mam to get me a sandwhich to eat in the car which I also have no recollection of haha!

I can't believe how worried I was over the biopsy. It really was nothing and I only have a small plaster on my back covering where the needle went in and that can come off tonight. They said it may ache a little but nothing that wont be sorted out with paracetamol but so far its not bothering me.
I think I'd genuinely rather have that than a CT scan again. The bone marrow biopsy really was a breeze and now I just have to cross my fingers that the results come back good!

8 comments:

  1. Hi Lauren. Saw your post on the Lymphoma FB site.I can relate to the bone marrow biopsy too. I was really scared, but like you, I never felt a thing.Same with my neck lymphnode biopsy and the Power Port install. Everything has gone well. I am mid way through chemo and had my half way CT scan last week. I have signs of progress' and 'marked improvment' and my lymphnodes ate two / thirds smaller. Everything is going to be fine. 4 more chemos and hopefully that will be it. I was foutunate to have the one drug in the mix, starts with an 'A', can't recall. but I haven't been sick, or last any hair. I know I am lucky. All of my treatment has been here in Austin, Texas and everyone had been amazing. My daughter has raised over 1500.00 for the 'Team In Training' race in Ft. Worth Texas on Feb 28th.
    Keep a good, positive attitude. Don't worry about school, you can pick that up again in the future.
    All the best,
    Bill Peary www.pearyphotography.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to see someone else who is sharing their experience with others.Well done Lauren,keep it up !

    ReplyDelete
  3. bkpeary thats great! Wishing you a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chemo went well yesterday! My Doctor said that my Lymphnodes are actually 90% smaller than there were in October. All very good news. I know my last comment was a bit confusing. In my chemo mix, I do not recieve the 'A' drug, the one that can cause hair loss and nausea, so my treatments have been easy, save for some skin tingling, fingettip numbness and mild headaches.Now, just three more chemos to go. I haven't slowed down in my photography business and have 40+ weddings on the books for 2010.Hang in there Lauren. You will be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thats great! How come you dont get the A drug? I have decided to shave my hair off for charity so i have no choice but to lose it haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I caught it early. With my Lymphoma, it is follicular class, not really sure what all that means..but caught early, they drop the A drug and extend the number of treatments from 6 to 8. I know how lucky I am as had I been dealing with nausea all the time, I would not have been able to keep working..I shot a wedding yesterday, stayed for wine and dinner afterward. What is the next step in your treatment?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how lucky! I haven't started chemo yet as I only had the bone marrow biopsy last week so I am expecting to start this coming week and hopefully the bone marrow result will be clear, fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We wish the best for you. Put your fear aside, be strong. You will fight and win.Please post results when you know..

    ReplyDelete